Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon’s Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) is looking for experienced software engineers who want to build Amazon’s next generation of procurement systems. Our software is used by every country Amazon services, and is a critical link to ensuring the products our customers want are available when they need them.
As an SDE in SCOT, you’ll work closely with some of the brightest software engineers, research scientists, and product managers to solve highly complex supply chain challenges. You and your fellow engineers are responsible for designing the architecture, building the software, and working with the team to deploy your solutions across the globe. SCOT is a unique opportunity to both create and see the direct impact of your work on billions of dollars’ worth of inventory in one of the world’s most advanced supply chains, and at massive scale.
You should be comfortable diving deep into technical architectures and requirements, be able to quickly identify solutions to challenges discovered during development, and ready to work with some of the latest cloud computing technology. Prior experience building stable, scalable, solutions is required. Prior experience with data mining, databases, or massively parallel systems is a plus. Successful candidates will thrive in fast-paced environments that leverage agile planning techniques, encourage and reward creative design, intelligent risk taking, and find innovative ways to leverage cutting edge technology.
Key job responsibilities
- You are able to take a defined design and turn it into code and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current software engineering best practices.
- You write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects.
- You are proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms.
- You participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions.
- You seek to learn the business context and technologies behind your team’s software.
- You work effectively with customers and/or internal partners to understand business impacts and identify any opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions.
- You invent, refine and develop your solutions to ensure they are meeting customer needs and team goals. You are a passionate advocate for your customer.
- You clearly document your software to ensure that future generations of developers understand the intention behind the features and components you build.
- You may be part of an oncall rotation. In the event of a problem, you are able to troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects.
- You participate in the interview process and help your team train SDE interns.
A day in the life
You will be building and owning scalable, distributed, high performant and low-latency systems that power the automated ordering systems in SCOT. Our platforms are built using cutting edge AWS technologies including API gateway, ECS, Lambda, S3, DynamoDB, Kinesis and more. Our teams embrace agile methodologies with a focus on test automation and continuous deployment.
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- 1+ years of experience in software development
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
- Enrolled in, or received at a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM related field such as IT, Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, C++, or C
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor’s degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 2+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.