Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Are you experienced in Critical Infrastructure Commissioning and looking for a fast paced and cutting-edge environment to work in? As a Data Center Commissioning Engineer (CxE), you will be part of highly creative, efficient team tasked with tackling fascinating and challenging problems building and supporting the operations of Amazon owned data centers. The Amazon Commissioning team (ACx) understands, evaluates, defines and manages the expectations of construction quality in accordance to engineering designs to meet the customer requirements. The CxE is responsible for supporting vendors, contractors, and other teams involved in the construction and commissioning of various systems such as:
-Medium and low voltage power systems
-HVAC (Air Handlers / Exhaust Fans / VFD)
-Chilled Water Systems
-Building Management systems (BMS)
-Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS)
-Testing and balancing
-Pumps and Hydronic systems
The CxE shall provide multi-discipline input into the scheduling, test script development, designing, and planning of projects. In addition, the CxE will be required to review component submittal packages, lead Factory Witness Testing (FWT), perform system level and integrated system testing. During commissioning the CxE will continuously audit activities to ensure compliance with environmental, quality, and safety requirements. Additionally, the individual will be responsible for comprehensive weekly reporting of status of all ongoing projects and lessons learned to continually improve the quality of our program. This position will include coverage of multiple inflight projects and aggressive timelines.
Walk job sites in uneven terrain
Work at heights and from ladders
Regularly walk, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
Lift and/or move up to 49 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 50 pounds or more
Carry objects weighing up to 49 pounds for short distances
Work Monday – Friday shifts, occasionally longer than eight hours in duration with potential for night and weekends
Perform physical tasks throughout the day without becoming overly tired
Ability to manipulate small wires and objects easily
Work in a noisy environment
Work in environments that are colder or hotter than a normal office environment
Additional Job Requirements
• Ability to relocate to the Columbus, OH area.
• Ability and willingness to travel domestic and internationally for up to 50% of the year.
• Required to provide personal transportation for meetings and job visits away from the office; reimbursed.
Key job responsibilities
The Commissioning Engineer (CxE) provides testing and validation oversight of AWS data center electrical and mechanical infrastructure. CxEs review design documents, lead Factory Witness Testing (FWT), and manage third-party commissioning vendors in the performance of onsite pre-functional, functional, and integrated systems testing. They take Ownership of their projects’ successes by Diving Deep to resolve technical issues and having Bias for Action to address everchanging schedule and coordination demands onsite. Additionally, CxEs communicate lessons learned and drive program improvements.
A day in the life
On a typical project, the CxE works across AWS engineering, capacity delivery, operations, and contractor teams to coordinate site activities, prioritize tasks, and ensure each issue has clear path to resolution. The CxE manages the project commissioning vendor whose primary scope is to identify issues, determine criticality, propose solutions, and document their findings. If project turnover is at risk, the CxE escalates to the appropriate stakeholders. Upon project completion, the CxE will communicate lessons learned to help peers on similar projects in flight and participate in initiatives that drive improvement to the commissioning program.
- Experience directly related to mission critical facilities or data center infrastructure
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or similar relevant training experience
- 3+ years of commissioning experience
- 1+ years of vendor management or similar management experience
- Certification or training specific to NETA, ASHRAE, or Commissioning specific education courses
- Advanced knowledge Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, Outlook required; advanced knowledge of SharePoint (or similar) preferred
- Effective communication skills, detail oriented, highly organized, and able to work in high stress environments to maintain calm and respectful interaction with multiple teams
- Advance knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems for critical infrastructures
- Ability to read and edit construction documents (design drawings, control diagrams, specifications, etc.)
- Experience developing and executing test procedures for mechanical or electrical systems/components based on design intent and approved equipment submittals
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.