Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for major initiatives. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
As a Sr. SDM, you will be 100% focused on implementing major change throughout a complex low-latency, high throughput advertising ecosystem. Your team will consist of Sr. Engineering talent solving some of the hardest big data problems at Amazon.
You will also be excellent at driving results, being able to build solutions for large, multi-functional projects on-time, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance business needs versus technical constraints. You are responsible for defining technical design and building world-class software that pushes boundaries.
You want to work on projects where you are implementing solutions to real problems that require creative solutions and deep understanding of the problem space. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better and often disruptive solutions. You know how to work cross-functionally to create alignment and deliver results. You’re a thought leader, but you don’t just know how to solve the problem, you prove it by going and building the solution. You want to create value and impact the direction of entire industries.
This role will involve driving products impacting many areas of our business. The individual in this role will have responsibility through the full product life cycle, from product strategy, prioritization and development to adoption and iteration with global sales and account management teams. You will directly build the next generation of Amazon’s ad reporting systems. This role requires a deeply technical person that can work at this scale but also interface with business teams and ensure our platform meets the needs of our customers.
We’re looking for experienced, motivated software engineering managers with a proven track record of building web applications and services. You’ll be responsible for owning, leading and delivering highly scalable systems that will be used by customers to build, manage and serve innovative ad solutions. Our team works across Amazon. We’re building a full-service, full-stack platform for end-users and other developers.
With our team you’ll get the opportunity to own & lead major initiatives and build complex solutions. You’ll work with customers directly, to scope, design, implement and launch new features quickly and iteratively. We believe in teamwork and in delivering rock solid, customer focused solutions.
Key job responsibilities
• Collaborate with SDEs, PEs and engineering managers to develop the best technical and operational design and approach, delivering value quickly to customers without sacrificing the long-term.
• Design, refine and reduce the ongoing costs of operational processes.
• Report on status of platform scalability to executive management and act quickly and decisively to resolve customer-impacting issues.
- Learn and deploy best OE practices at Amazon, engage with other teams in the company, evangelizing the team and your project, building relationships and helping identify existing components and technologies that can be leveraged to deliver on our goals.
A day in the life
Your day will typically be some combination of product vision/roadmap creation along with deeper technical reviews. System availability is our highest priority and Software Development Managers review their systems each week for operational efficiency. You’ll be expected to hire a top performing team so you’ll spend some portion of your day growing and mentoring talent. Finally, as a senior leader you’ll be expected to present your strategic vision to stakeholders and customers
About the team
Measurement and Data Science (MADS) delivers scaled advertising campaign measurement and reporting. We support all Amazon ad programs including Sponsored Products, Sponsored Brands, Sponsored Display, Amazon DSP, 3P Paid Merchandising (HOTW), and Amazon Live. We serve advertisers by creating campaign measurement products and delivering performance reporting through our reporting API (hundreds of millions of queries per day) while enabling stakeholder teams to launch and measure new marketing tactics. In addition to developing new measurement and reporting, we develop the foundational architectures of scaled measurement including our compute infrastructure (100+ services, 25K+ nodes), data set storage (2 PB/day), and processing of ad, conversion, and identity events in near real time . Offline reports generated through UIs and APIs have seen 2X YoY increase. MADS is comprised of product managers, scientists, and software development contributors in Toronto, Boulder, HQ2, and Seattle.
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience, managing engineers and managers
- Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
- Knowledge of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, Object Oriented design
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Strong sense of collaboration, ownership, urgency, and drive
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Online distributed systems and platform infrastructure design and implementation
- Experience working in PB scale data pipelines
- Experience in data analytics using distributed systems (e.g. Hadoop, Pig, Hive, EMR, Spark, Elasticsearch)
- Experience building platform/hosted API services
- Advanced CS or equivalent degree
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.