Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
The Amazon Devices team develops the newest components into the operating systems, cloud services and mobile applications that power Amazon devices (Echo, Plug, FireTV, Kindle, etc.). We are looking for a Software Development Manager (SDM) to make bringing smart devices into your home a magical experience.
We are looking for Software Development Managers that work well both in a start-up environment while working on systems with infinite scale. You will be influencing the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions of customers around the world. You can expect to hire, lead and build teams that work on some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing. We are looking for creative and driven individuals with a passion for smart home technology. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, are deeply technical, and passionate to build pioneering solutions, we would love to talk to you.
• Work with senior leaders on a vision and technical strategy
• Develop teams that work on cloud services
• Work closely with the engineers to build the best technical design and approach
• Mentor & grow engineers across the team, insisting on high standards
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment and collaborate with partner teams
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance
• Develop tools & processes to enable best-in-class operations for our services for Amazon and 3rd Party devices
This position includes working closely with product management and peer SDMs.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
- 10+ years’ experience building successful production software systems
- Computer Science fundamentals (based on a BS or MS in CS or related field)
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java
- SDM experience in cloud services and supporting back-end for mobile apps
- Experience working with geographically diverse partner teams
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
- Experience influencing software engineers’ best practices within your team
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Knowledge of Alexa and smart home devices