Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
The position can be based in Seattle, WA or Austin, TX or Arlington, VA or Denver, CO or Cupertino, CA or San Diego, CA.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to build massively scalable systems that are used by the world’s largest cloud infrastructures?
Would you enjoy broad yet equally deep scope that impacts all AWS systems globally?
AWS Vetting continues to pioneer and our team is architecting, building, and operating scalable services that are at the core of AWS infrastructure.
What do we do?
We build platforms and tools that ensure the health of AWS hardware by verifying and authenticating every new and rebuilt system across all AWS data centers. Our platform enables service owners such as EC2, EBS, S3, and others to deliver healthy servers for their service to the production. Our team leads a large-scale service that sets the bar for Amazon and the industry in platform level services, effectively enabling the hardware at scale by designing and developing the software that manages the verification and testing of every server in AWS.
Why it’s high-impact?
We set the bar high to ensure that AWS customers get the capacity they need to run their applications on a healthy hardware server within an SLA
What’s the challenge?
There are many ambiguous and difficult challenges in our fast-moving space. Our platform is mission critical and requires deep system and software expertise. You need to have the ability to work within a fast moving and startup-like environment in a large company. You will identify solutions, trying ideas, given space to fail and iterate to produce products that your customers love.
As an SDM, you will have the opportunity to lead a team that builds, invents, evolves, scales, and maintains distributed software systems for AWS Vetting. You lead the long-term strategy and solution to challenging technical and business problems.
The right candidate will enjoy finding solutions to hard problems, working with other teams to build scalable solutions, and growing the career of your team of engineers. You should be able to thrive and success in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You understand mission critical services and obsess over customer experience. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, and build mechanisms to keep programs on track, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. It also includes working closely with product managers and TPM’s to help shape the customer experience.
Key job responsibilities
- Own design, development, test, deployment and operation of capabilities in AWS Vetting platforms
- Advise and consult with other SDM’s and Senior Engineers on design and architecture
- Provide technical direction to your the team, and influence technical direction of stakeholder teams
- Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps
- Hire and mentor software/system engineers and actively participate in developing their career.
- Partner with Product Mangers and TPMs to accelerate delivery of solutions to our customers.
- Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
A day in the life
As a Software Development Manager, you will work with Product Managers and TPMs on execution of product roadmap. Managing your team and work with other SDM’s or stakeholders in designing, developing, and delivering solutions to our customers. You own supporting production issues and tickets.
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- 10+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- Track record of building, delivering, and operating mission critical, 24×7 production software systems
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud based distributed software design and development, more so using AWS services
- Experience with Python, Ruby, Golang, or C++, Java, or Java Script
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development, CI/CD
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- Proven track record of delivery
- Experience managing multiple concurrent programs, projects and development teams in an Agile environment
- A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Ability to analyze business requirements, write specifications, scope technical requirements, drive solution design across organizational boundaries, manage multiple software development efforts, establish rigorous testing standards and success metrics.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional, cross-organization teams to assemble project plans, secure commitments on deliverables, and lead the resolution of blocking issues.
- Demonstrated passion for understanding ambiguous, complex problems and driving high-quality, innovative, and robust solutions.
- Experience driving large scale, distributed software development projects from inception to delivery.
- Experience creating and building autonomous software teams who can operate independently.
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- A passion for people management and mentorship
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.