Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) builds and operates some of the largest internet infrastructure on the planet; providing companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can provision compute power, storage, database, and other cloud resources as your business demands them.
We are looking for a strong Systems Engineering and Operations Leader to contribute to the growth of our organization within Amazon Web Services.
A successful Senior Manager in AWS will do much more than lead teams of Systems Engineers in launching new features, writing code, and triaging problems. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: and our employees are smart, passionate about the cloud, motivated to serve customers, and fun to work with.
At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. This leader must be able to dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. We need a technical, detail-oriented leader who can build and grow organizations. You will excel at hiring and developing engineers and leaders and lead a charter which grows as your organization grows. Our services operate at large scale, so passion and discipline around operational excellence is key.
You thrive working with empowered, world-class engineers and meeting world-class challenges. Finally, with your strong ownership bias, you have an infectious desire to continually improve how we deliver on behalf of our customers.
A successful candidate will be a hands-on manager with an established background in developing and operating platforms and services, developing and hiring extraordinary talent, have strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, or related field, or related work experience
• Very strong experience in relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems
• Strong practical experience as a Systems Engineering and Operations leader with some experience managing managers.
• Several years of experience managing systems development and/or support efforts in an agile environment
• Proven experience in preparing quality metrics and effectively engaging with stakeholders to set and drive quality goals
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to production
• Experience with the deployment and usage of monitoring systems
• Experience delivering IT services to enterprise customers
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Success delivering products/services in a high-growth environment, exhibiting strong ability to identify and solve ambiguous customer-focused problems
• Ability to take raw product requirements and create software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and perceptions
• Experience with Analytics or Database technologies
• High attention to detail with proven ability to juggle multiple, conflicting priorities simultaneously and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Proven skills designing and developing simple solutions to complex problems
• Good understanding of platforms and technologies with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• You have a track record of delivering technical programs, projects, and products in a highly technical multi-team environment