Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the pioneer and recognized leader in Cloud Computing. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure in-the-cloud that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. These customers range from start-ups to leading web companies to Global 500 companies.
AWS Data Services group provides rapidly growing, industry acclaimed cloud services in areas of big data platforms to data analytics to operational databases. The group is at the forefront of innovation in these areas producing world-class cloud services such as EMR to Redshirt to RDS Aurora and many more.
Lake Formation is our fully managed service to simplify building and securing data lakes. It features Blueprints to ingest data from commons sources, ML transforms to clean and de-duplicate data and a unified security model with fine-grained permissions (at the database, table, and column level) that are applicable across a wide range of AWS analytic and ML services (Redshift Spectrum, Glue , EMR Spark, QuickSight). We are looking for an experienced leader to take our early lead in the Big Data market and extend it by defining and delivering industry-leading, next-generation services architected for the cloud.
Why Be a Part of AWS Lake Formation
- Be catalyst to deliver a truly disruptive product while it is in infancy state
- Solve unique and first-order problems in areas of Big Data, Spark, Distributed Systems, Serverless and Machine Learning
- Influence and build product that will leverage scale of resources to orchestrate data workflow
- Be part of big data revolution in cloud
- Grow leader in you to build revolutionary product
- About you:
- Passionate in building large scale distributed systems
- Thrive in culture of ownership, delivery and bias for action
- Fast pace environment energizes you to be at your best
- Innovate and invent in agile and collaborative environment
- Curious and eager to learn to expect more of you and others
Responsibilities in this Role
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture, design and extensible code
- Be an advocate of industry best-practices to produce reliable, fault-torrent and dependable code
- Code and test complex system modules; develop and leverage frameworks to be effective and efficient
- Participate in architecture, design and code reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Own system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Collaborate and influence other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
- Mentor other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team
- 3-5 years experience writing large scale systems in Java and/or Python. C/C++ is a plus.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
Key job responsibilities
Understand functional and technical requirements, work with Sr engineers to design and build extensible code
Be an advocate of industry best-practices to produce reliable, fault-torrent and dependable code
Code and test system modules; develop and leverage frameworks to be effective and efficient
Participate in architecture, design and code reviews to maintain our high development standards
Collaborate and influence other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
Work closely with other engineers on team to deliver product releases
Work in an agile environment to deliver high-quality software.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experienced writing multi-threaded programs requiring concurrency and synchronization primitives
- Write very high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain
- Experienced debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex, production software
- Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
- Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Possess excellent communication, sharp analytical abilities, and proven design skills
- Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems is a plus
- Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, and storage systems
- Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.