Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Do you want to drive innovation in the healthcare space and make a positive and tangible difference in people’s lives? If so, keep reading!
The Alexa Health & Wellness team is developing innovative solutions to make Alexa a trusted health assistant for millions of customers. Our team is excited about this enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and development of consumer products in this space as we truly help people have better health outcomes.
As a software engineer on our team, you will drive improvements to our technology, collaborating with sharp engineers to ship code continuously. We have many challenges in many domains ranging from highly-scalable distributed backend systems, to natural language understanding, data privacy and compliance, to complex optimization problems and voice user interface design. You will have opportunities to collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams within Alexa and across Amazon. We are truly an agile shop: we deliver features with high frequency, can pivot on a dime when needed, and are passionate about test coverage, refactoring and paying off technical debt. We are looking for software development leaders who share our vision for continuously improving the customer experience, who are motivated by challenging problems, and who love writing great code.
On any given day, we use technologies like Java, TypeScript and Alexa Skill Flow Builder, as well as AWS services like Lambda, DynamoDB, CloudWatch, SQS, KMS, S3, Redshift, QuickSight, and CloudFormation. We don’t expect you to be an expert in, or necessarily even be familiar with, all of the technologies listed above, but we do expect you to be excited to learn about them!
Key job responsibilities
As a software engineer on the team:
• You will contribute to technical strategies, vision, and architecture
• You will solve a breadth of technical problems involving back-end software engineering and voice user interface development
• You will design and build software that is highly available, performant, scalable, and extensible
• You will own the software development process end to end and be responsible for design, implementation, testing, QA and operations
• You will build new user experiences together with the customer experience team
A day in the life
Looking for Software Development Engineers to drive design and development of services in this strategically significant domain who will work with technical leaders to refine technical direction, and then follow through with detailed analysis, designs, and high quality code. They are equally comfortable working with small, focused project teams as well as making major direct contributions to ambiguous project spaces.
From the technical stack perspective, we have a wide range of opportunities across a diverse tech stack. We strive to build exclusively in Native AWS. We mainly develop in Java, and our current architecture comprises of several services built on Lambdas, SQS and SNS, EC2, etc.
We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Across all our services, we maintain a high test driven development bar, and are proud to boast a very low operational load with most of our services being Full CD. We value micro-services and single-responsibility is a major tenet in our architectural decisions.
About the team
We are building a “Wellness” team based in Santa Monica. We are open to candidates who want to be remote if they are located on the west coast.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
• Experience designing internet-scale public APIs.
• Experience defining and championing best practices across a software team.
• Experience developing Alexa skills
• Experience building consumer-facing software in the healthcare field
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.