Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile devices like the Echo and Fire TV families of products.
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be in charge of building core frameworks and technologies that make our products accessible to customers with a variety of disabilities. This is your opportunity to use your coding chops to help people with disabilities use technology to communicate, be entertained, access knowledge, and control their environment.
We create assistive technologies such as the award winning VoiceView screen reader which allows customers who are blind to use Fire TV, Switch Access which enables customers with motor impairments to use Fire Tablet, and a variety of other access tools on devices such as Echo Show.
To learn more about the accessible experiences that Amazon provides please visit www.amazon.com/accessibility
We are looking for a talented, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic Senior Software Development Engineer who is passionate about quality and is enthusiastic about digital products. The person chosen for this position will have the opportunity to contribute their creative ideas and energy to our group. Duties include research, design, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of systems and the creation of software services and tools to drive the software development process towards higher quality.
In this role will:
- Build assistive technology tools for Amazon devices which provide access to customers with a variety of disabilities
- Partner with internal teams to ensure their features are compatible with assistive technologies. This ranges from devices such as Echo Show to services such as Prime Video.
- You will take part in the implementation and customization of software, working closely with the software component teams while delivering the best core engines at the platform level.
- You will be working on cutting edge technologies in the market today. The development will be from the concept stage to the launch stage and ensuring the highest level of quality for your deliverables.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 3+ years of professional software development experience
- Master’s degree
- 3+ years of software development engineering experience, with at least two years’ experience developing embedded applications
- 2+ years of Embedded Java framework or Android framework experience (Java 2 Mobile Edition, CDC, PBP)
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules
- Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skill, including verbal, written, listening and customer relationships
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Embedded Linux experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.