Our mission: To be Earth's most customer-centric company.
Amazon.com is seeking an innovative Data Engineer to join the Long-term Forecasting and Planning Team. We develop statistic models that involve learning from large amounts of historical data and identifying key drivers to the long-term growth trends in order to predict the company’s long-term growth profile. This forecast is used to make strategic decisions and investments over customer facing programs, fulfillment center expansions and other fixed and variable costs initiatives. The work is complex and important to Amazon. The better our forecasts, the more we can lower prices for customers and offer optimal delivery experience.
You will have an opportunity to work in one of the world’s largest and most complex data warehouse environments and help build data acquisition pipeline that powers the forecasting models. In addition, you will be responsible for developing customer facing metrics that will be used by internal retail, finance and operational users to understand the forecast accuracy as well as view different slices of the data. Our systems also supports planning scenarios by consuming different inputs and refresh the growth forecast, so you will need to develop proper control of the data to allow for versioning management, tracking against actuals and gap analysis.
As a Data Engineer you should be an expert with data warehousing technical components (e.g. ETL, Reporting, Data Modelling), infrastructure (e.g. hardware and software) and their integration. The individual is expected to be able to build efficient, flexible, extensible, and scalable ETL and reporting solutions. The candidate should be enthusiastic about learning new technologies and be able to implement solutions using them to provide new functionality to users or to scale the existing platform. You will also work with business customers in understanding the business requirements and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs. You will have an opportunity to work with technologies like Redshift, Hadoop/Hive/Spark/Presto.
You will also have chance to work with the most talented scientists and economists, to solve the most complicated long term forecasting problems that the world’s biggest online retailer is facing.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn’t about which hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we’ll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
• 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience in SQL
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
• A desire to work in a collaborative, intellectually curious environment.
• Highly analytical with advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 4-5+ years industry experience
• Demonstrated exceptional ability in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing.
• Expert-level skills in writing and optimizing to process large scale and complex datasets.
• Data Warehousing Experience with Oracle, Redshift, Teradata or other MPP databases.
• Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (, , , etc)
• Experience in gathering requirements and formulating business metrics for reporting.
• Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.)
• Industry experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g., Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
• Coding proficiency in at least two of the modern programming languages (, , , etc)
• Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Experience with No- databases Dynamo DB, Mongo DB etc.
• Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
• Query performance tuning skills using Unix profiling tools and .
• Prior experience with one of those BI tools: OBIEE, SAP BW, Cognos, Business Objects, Hyperion, BPM, , Microstrategy, Quicksight
• Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies Redshift, S3, EC2,EMR, AWS Glue, Athena, Redshift Spectrum, Data-pipeline, Lambda, Step Functions and other big data technologies.
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentor other engineers for the best practices on the data engineering space.
• Linux/UNIX including to process large data sets.
• Familiarity with common statistical methods and tools.
• Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.