Autodesk gives you the power to make anything.
Job Requisition ID #
We are looking for a Senior Algorithm Engineer to join our product development teams and help create the next-generation architectural design tools.
According to the UN, more than 90% of future population growth will occur in cities. This creates an ever-growing pressure to build more densely. At the same time, we become increasingly aware of the importance of sustainability and living qualities like daylight, microclimate, and noise. If the cities of tomorrow are to be both affordable, sustainable, and pleasant places to live, we need to give architects and city planners super-powers to handle this rising complexity. That is our goal in the Unified Design product group at Autodesk: Put the power of analysis, generative design, and seamless collaboration in the hands of architects, to help them build better cities.
Building these tools requires us to solve a range of complex issues. Our algorithm engineers bring the mathematics, machine learning, geometry, and simulation knowledge needed to solve these challenges. Some of the features we have delivered to our customers include:
- An industry-leading analysis suite, including noise, sun, wind, and daylight, accurate enough for regulatory use and running on a fully scalable cloud platform
- Neural networks which enable real-time noise and wind surrogate analyses
- A building layout generator that maximizes daylight and sunlight qualities on properties
- Everything served through our browser-based 3D architectural drawing app
As an algorithm engineer your primary responsibility will be as a product team member, working to improve our game-changing technology. In the immediate future, this means working on some of the following areas;
- Improve the speed and detail level of our analyses, and develop new ones in the realm of sustainability and energy.
- Use AI to develop new instant analyses, giving architects immediate feedback on their building designs
- Create generative algorithms that help architects design everything from suburban neighborhoods to city centers.
- Redesigning our building information model to better support both generative, assisted, and manual design
- Push the boundary of browser-based 3D design
- Scale our infrastructure to handle a 100x increase in users
You are expected to have excellent mathematical understanding and be a primary resource within your areas of expertise. However, we think software development works best when one team owns all phases of product development. You will not only work on the core models but also help develop the surrounding cloud infrastructure and web interfaces, as well as create product roadmaps and interact with users.
To learn more about what we think great engineering looks like, have a look at our tech core beliefs and product core beliefs.
We offer the opportunity to work either fully remotely or in one of our Oslo-based teams, which are primarily on-site.
- Experience implementing mathematical code, or excellent grades from higher-level math subjects
- Experience developing production-level code including testing, scaling etc.
- Experience in one area such as computational geometry, optimization, machine learning, or physical simulations (fluid, acoustics, or structural)
- Enjoy working in cross-functional teams responsible for everything from mathematical models to frontend UX and product management.
- Excited to work in an organization where teams set their own goals and flexibility is valued higher than stable roadmaps
- Motivated to create impact, also in areas outside your core expertise
Our division consists primarily of the recently acquired start-up company Spacemaker. Joining forces with Autodesk has unlocked an enormous customer base and a wealth of resources to speed up our development. We now aim to take our product global and become the leading tool for early-stage design within the construction industry. To learn about our journey or the way forward, have a look at our blog or website.
At Autodesk, we’re building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Are you an existing contractor or consultant with Autodesk? Please search for open jobs and apply internally (not on this external site). If you have any questions or require support, contact Autodesk Careers.