- Customer Support Associate - Atlanta, GA
- Senior Program Manager, Internal Communication Operations - Atlanta, GA
- Program Manager, Research, Hybrid/Remote - Atlanta, GA
- Senior User Experience Designer, Hybrid/Remote - Atlanta, GA
- Cloud Network Engineer - Atlanta, GA
Autodesk gives you the power to make anything.
Job Requisition ID #
We are looking for a developer to join the Arnold core rendering team. Your contributions to the Arnold renderer will allow our users to continue making award-winning VFX and animated films, episodic shows, game cinematics, motion graphics, music videos, advertisements, architectural and product visualizations, synthetics, and more. The core team focuses on the Arnold renderer library, which handles all aspects of CPU and GPU rendering, such as path tracing, shading, mesh subdivision and displacement, texturing, volumes, and everything else required of a standalone rendering library. You would be expected to become an expert in at least some parts of the renderer. A good overview of the kind of work involved can be seen in our 2018 Transactions on Graphics Journal paper:https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/research/Arnold_TOG2018.pdf.
As a core developer, you are expected to document and communicate your Arnold renderer changes to the Arnold plugin team so that they can properly integrate and expose your contributions for use in various DCCs such as Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, Cinema 4D, and Katana.The Arnold team is spread across countries and continents. Remote and in-office/hybrid is a possibility for many locations even if not expressly listed above.
- Investigate new algorithms that may improve rendering speed, memory usage, numerical precision, image quality, and/or create and improve shaders
- Benchmark the renderer and identify bottlenecks with the aim at optimizing performance
- Design, maintain, and extend APIs for interoperability between rendering subsystems as well as external 3D applications
- Write robust, readable, maintainable, and extensible code that can last for years and won’t scare other developers
- Refactor legacy code. Produce both unit tests and developer documentation for any new code
- Debug existing subsystems, identify problem areas in the code, provide both quick temporary workarounds and high-quality, lasting solutions as needed
- Debug production scenes and communicate findings and workarounds with both customers and other developers
- Experience writing production-quality rendering code
- Advanced C++ programming and debugging skills
- Excellent English communication and writing skills
- Ability to work within an established, tight-knit yet geographically distributed team of developers while requiring little supervision
- Ability to work with customers to identify and resolve production problems
- Experience writing integrators, shaders, ray tracing intersectors and acceleration structures, mesh subdivision, and anything else you might find in the PBRT book
- Extra points for the applicant who knows what the PBRT book is and has been reading it long enough to have acquired multiple editions
- Experience writing production quality shaders
- Strong mathematical background
- Advanced multi-threaded programming skills: can write lockless algorithms and instinctively writes code that avoids false-sharing
- Experience writing low-level code, from assembly to SSE intrinsics
- A good track record of contributing to opensource projects, not necessarily rendering-related
- Experience with CUDA or other GPU programming tools. Ideally have written a path tracer in OptiX
- Experience integrating Open Shading Language into a renderer
- Knowledge of color theory. Familiar with OpenColorIO
- VFX/animation production experience
At Autodesk, we’re building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Autodesk has always valued flexibility in how we work. We continue to provide employees flexibility to support their work preferences wherever possible and nearly all roles are hybrid or remote, unless otherwise indicated.
Are you an existing contractor or consultant with Autodesk? Please search for open jobs and apply internally (not on this external site). If you have any questions or require support, contact Autodesk Careers.