We are passionate about making the web a better place.
With Tumblr and WordPress.com, Automattic enables millions of people around the globe to publish and share their stories. The Tumblr dashboard, the WordPress.com Reader, our mobile apps, and email newsletters provide ways to access and discover our users’ content.
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumbr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. A key part of fostering an ecosystem of free expression is getting the right content in front of the audience who is most interested in it.
We are looking for a Head of Product to report directly to the CEO of Tumblr in order to set the product roadmap and strategy for Tumblr as well as being part of the leadership team to help shape the future of the business. As the Head of Product, you are responsible for guiding consumer-facing products throughout the creation and execution cycle, focusing specifically on analyzing, positioning, promoting, and tailoring our solutions to our users. You will own the vision, direction, and priorities to scale and transform the experience of our platform. You will partner closely with cross-functional executives (engineering, UI/UX, strategy, marketing) to align business and product strategy, while providing transparency into roadmaps and managing expectations.
This Head of Product position is a unique opportunity to join a thriving, innovative company, with a grand vision and an exceptional charter to foster something very special and unprecedented in our industry.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive growth of active users and user retention on Tumblr. Discover new avenues for growth.
- Own our strategy and roadmap to connect people with the content that is most relevant to them. Be mindful about presenting quality content and impacting our users in ways we will be proud of. Get colleagues at all levels on board with your vision.
- Be part of a leadership group responsible for meeting Tumblr’s business needs. Influence business decisions with quantitative and qualitative insights, leveraging your experience and empathy for users. Form relationships with leaders from Business, Design, Data, and Product Engineering to ensure your team has the resources to make an impact at Tumblr.
- Work closely with engineering directors to surface the best Tumblr content from 380+ million blogs and 150+ billion posts.
Experience We’re Looking For:
- Experience in owning a portfolio of products on different platforms, building a long-term strategy, and working with colleagues at all levels and across subject areas to make it happen.
- Previous experience working on Feeds and Recommendations
- The ability to connect business strategies, customer needs, and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products.
- A good understanding of current internet technologies, and how web or mobile applications are designed, built, and deployed at scale. Familiar enough to guide engineering teams to make tradeoffs for prioritization to scope projects correctly.
- Strong organizational, cultural, and people leadership skills. You are a strong cross-team collaborator, able to effectively work with teams across multiple departments, time zones, and functions.
- Experience in creating engaging, personalized, algorithmic feeds and content experiences, ideally ones that leveraged machine learning to present user-generated content.
- Attention to creating a safe and inspiring content consumption experience for our users, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.