We are passionate about making the web a better place.
At Automattic, we have the power to create opportunities for people in every corner of the earth. We offer people flexible, challenging and rewarding careers with true impact and scale. You could be on the outskirts of a jungle, living a nomadic life out of a van, in a major city or a small town that doesn’t have a central business district—as long as you have an active Wi-Fi connection, you could be an Automattician.
We’re looking for seasoned Technical Account Managers to join our product teams on WordPress VIP, Special Projects, and Newspack.
As a Technical Account Manager, you will:
- Drive our customers’ adoption of WordPress and other Automattic products and services. Draw on your technical acumen and customer-facing skills to effectively represent Automattic.
- Lead discussions with senior leadership regarding technical and product strategy, incidents, trade-offs, and risk management.
- Work with developers and senior engineers to provide advocacy and strategic technical guidance, to help customers plan and build solutions that proactively drive application health.
- Develop close relationships with your customers, in order to understand their business/operational needs and technical challenges, and help them achieve the greatest value from our products.
You are motivated by impact, whether that’s achieved by rapid deployment of bespoke, high-profile sites; helping newsrooms take control of their online publishing; helping businesses with their digital transformation; or working with some of the most influential companies in the world to get the most out of WordPress.
Your style is to get things done while reducing friction for your colleagues and customers, to respond rapidly when called upon, as well as being proactive. You view our customers as partners and pride yourself in establishing long-term relationships. You enjoy managing projects and timelines and working with everyone from engineers to GMs and VPs of Sales.
In addition, you have experience with:
- Influencing customer outcomes, analyzing customer health metrics, and tracking customer interactions via tools.
- Collaborating closely with team members to support renewals and expansion opportunities.
- Gauging customers’ levels of engagement with the company and providing feedback to internal stakeholders regarding product and service improvements.
- Creating structure in ambiguous situations and designing effective processes.
- Leading customer on-sites, conducting service reviews, and empowering customers to achieve success and gain the greatest value from our products.
- Effective problem-solving, conflict resolution, and context-switching.
- Distilling and accomplishing goals and wish-lists into concrete next steps.
- Remaining undaunted by managing risks in high stakes situations.
- Conducting kick-off calls and getting everyone on the same page.
- Working with WordPress or other web technologies.
- Bonus points for software development and architecture experience, but writing code is not in scope for this position.
Prospective Technical Account Managers will be evaluated by the WordPress VIP, Special Projects, and Newspack teams. Candidates may indicate a preferred area of interest.
As a TAM for WordPress VIP, you will help drive our Enterprise customers’ adoption of the VIP platform by managing and understanding our customers and partners from discovery, through launch, and beyond. WordPress VIP TAMs are the principal operational customer contacts for the ‘voice of the customer’ internally. You will influence how our customers best engage with our platform and complementary Automattic products and services.
WordPress Special Projects Team
As a TAM on the Special Projects Team, you will regularly audit, review, and recommend improvements to customer sites and work with designers and developers to implement those recommendations. You’ll draw on your project management, organization, and communication skills to move large scale site-builds forward.
As a TAM for Newspack, you will work directly with our growing roster of small- and medium-sized news publishers to migrate their sites to WordPress and launch on the Newspack platform. You’ll troubleshoot technical and editor-facing issues as they arise, work with publishers to leverage and optimize Newspack’s feature set, and drive adoption of best practices in digital news publishing and monetization. You’ll also work closely with our product engineers to refine the Newspack product based on experience, expertise, and publisher input.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.