We are looking for an enthusiastic junior software developer to join our experienced development team. This role is an entry-level developer position that will assist the development team with all aspects of software design and coding. The primary focus will be to learn the codebase, processes and procedures, attend design meetings, write basic code, fix bugs and respond to requests from other members of the team. You will assist in the development, testing, support and maintenance of the firm’s portfolio of applications. This includes intranet sites, client portals, systems integrations and other custom developed solutions, designed to meet the needs of our Partners, employees and clients.
To ensure success as a junior developer, you should have a good working knowledge of basic programming languages, the ability to learn new technology quickly, and the ability to work in a team environment. Ultimately, you will provide valuable support to the development team while continually improving your own coding and design skills.
- Assisting the Development team with all aspects of software design and coding.
- Attending and contributing to company development meetings.
- Learning the codebase and improving your coding skills.
- Writing and maintaining code.
- Working on minor bug fixes.
- Monitoring the technical performance of internal systems.
- Responding to requests from others in the development team.
- Conducting development tests.
- Contribute to the development of applications that help to simplify and streamline business processes for Partners, employees and clients.
- Help gather business requirements and translate them to functional requirements
- Create, enhance, troubleshoot, support and train our custom applications
- Provide development and design assistance to other user levels and internally to the IT department
- Work with external firms and consultants on the development and design of applications
- Provide training to clients and to the IT Service Desk, as and when required
- Provide 3rd line support to the IT Service Desk
- Working as part of a team, with a positive “can do” attitude, sharing advice and workload to provide the best possible service to users
- Liaise with 3rd party support vendors
- To adhere to the Dentons Development Framework
- To adhere to Cyber Essentials Plus processes and procedures
- To adhere to the Dentons IT Quality Management System (QMS) and ISO 9001 processes and procedures
- To adhere to the Dentons IT Information Security Management System (ISMS) and ISO 27001 processes and procedures
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Degree in computer science.
- Knowledge of basic coding and basic programming experience.
- Knowledge of databases and operating systems.
- Ability to learn new software and technologies quickly.
- Ability to follow instructions and work in a team environment.
- Experience of developing against any of the following platforms would be of benefit:
- SharePoint 2013/2016/Online & the SharePoint Framework
- MS Office, O365 & MS Teams
- MS Power Platform
- MS Azure products and technologies
- Experience of developing in the following technology stack would be of benefit:
- Visual Studio
- .NET Framework
- ASP.NET Core & MVC
- Entity Framework
- Web Services & APIs
- Data integrations
- Hosting technology such as Internet Information Services
- Relational database design using Microsoft SQL Server
- SQL Reporting Services Power BI
- Git source control
- Experience of the following client-side technologies would be of benefit:
- Angular Vue Node.js React
- CSS pre-processors (LESS/SCSS)
- System Methodologies:
- Agile (Kanban) & Waterfall
- Project Scoping
- Business Requirement Specification
- Technical Specification
- User Acceptance Specifications
- Solution Documentation
- Able to produce clear documentation.
- Familiarity with tools such as MS Azure DevOps Git Jira would be of benefit.
Personal skills / attributes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to interact positively at all levels within the firm and a good team player
- Able to demonstrate excellent client/customer facing skills
- Able to effectively negotiate with and influence colleagues and others to achieve a successful outcome
- Able to explain technical terms to the end user in a jargon free manner
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution
- Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting
- Able to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure — particularly when dealing with difficult situations
- Methodical approach to work, with a strong focus on accuracy and quality
- Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures
- Able to work under pressure to tight project deadlines and can adapt to differing demands, with the ability to multi-task and prioritise assigned workload
- Effectively interact with other members of the team and be willing to help in all aspects of projects where needed.
- Can demonstrate confidence and resilience to overcome obstacles to deliver what is required
- Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions
- Professional in outlook and attitude
Dentons is a global firm driven to provide you with the competitive edge in an increasingly complex and interconnected marketplace. We were formed by the March 2013 combination of international law firm Salans LLP, Canadian law firm Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (FMC) and international law firm SNR Denton.
Dentons is built on the solid foundations of three highly regarded law firms. Each built its outstanding reputation and valued clientele by responding to the local, regional and national needs of a broad spectrum of clients of all sizes —individuals; entrepreneurs; small businesses and start-ups; local, regional and national governments and government agencies; and mid-sized and larger private and public corporations, including international and global entities. Now clients benefit from approximately 2,600 lawyers and professionals in more than 75 locations spanning 50-plus countries across Africa, Asia Pacific, Canada, Central Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Russia and CIS, the UK and the US who are committed to challenging the status quo to offer creative business and legal solutions.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
Job date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 04:32:36 GMT