- Technical Training Manager - Houston, TX - Chicago, IL
- Systems Engineer,Turbomachinery (Houston TX) - Houston, TX
- Senior Business Development Manager(Houston/Chicago/Remote) - Houston, TX - Chicago, IL
Field Service Technician I – Texas (IAH Airport)
Location: North America, USA, Houston
Division: Smiths Detection
Job Function: After Sales Service Repair
As a level one Field Service Technician, this individual must be team oriented and flexible, and actively seek to share information and assist their peers. Possesses solid communication skills, both oral and written. Demonstrates good electronic repair troubleshooting methodology and maintains at least an intermediate technical level of product knowledge. Ability to read and follow electrical/mechanical schematics to assist in isolating fault to root cause component/assembly. Cross trains on products serviced in the field, and displays basic proficiency in servicing the Trace, X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection Systems product lines. Willingness to work on special projects, some of high visibility, as assigned. Looks for common-mode problem occurrences and seeks to resolve, both independently and with the aid of others. Has a working knowledge of business PC applications (MS Word, Excel & Power Point) and able to effectively use them to provide clear, concise information summaries as needed.
Troubleshoots, services, installs (deploys) and repairs Trace, X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection equipment at customer sites. Maintains field service log and filing system to properly initiate, organize and maintain all field service and job files until work is completed Demonstrates initiative and dedication through positive use of downtime and an overall willingness and eagerness to consistently exceed customer and company requirements. Conducts follow up calls with the customer to ensure satisfaction of work.
Duties & Responsibilities
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Responsible for meeting daily service repair needs and driving customer satisfaction
- Installs, repairs and maintains equipment in the field; provides customer training as required.
- Documents all inspections, maintenance, repair work and submits paperwork in a timely basis
- Order, install, and return parts and manages repair parts cycle time
- Reviews all logs for open issues and prepares formal reports to customers as necessary.
- Participates in Service Sales opportunities and assists with promoting and implementing revenue programs.
- Ensures that tools and test equipment are properly maintained and calibrated
- Assesses product/equipment performance based on field support data; recommends modifications or improvements.
- Seeks to provide technical support to customers and other service professionals as required.
- May participate in site surveys, pilot program service activities, attend meetings
- Possesses basic technical knowledge on the company’s Trace and X-Ray technologies.
- Maintains clear and concise business communication, both oral and written
- Establishes and maintains a close relationship with senior level FSE’s and Product Managers in order to support the needs of the customer and remain aware of current technical trends.
- Exercises every available measure to control and minimize costs.
- Travel, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required.
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations.
- Other duties as required.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
Associate’s Degree/Related Trade Certification (electrical, electronic, mechanical)/Military Training (electrical, mechanical, electronics). (Equivalence achieved through comparative work and life experience of 1-3 years is acceptable work experience in a related electrical or mechanical field service role). Computer literacy; competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite and aptitude for learning specialized software programs.
Minimum of 1-3 years experience directly involved in troubleshooting and field repair of electrical and electronic systems and equipment.
Individuals shall possess excellent communications skills and have a strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork. Must be responsive to all customer issues at all times. Must be willing & able to travel at short notice.
While supervision is not considered a primary responsibility of this position, there may be instances where supervision of others on a project basis may be required
This position requires Sensitive Security Information (SSI) access and vetting via the TSA. Applicant must successfully pass a federal background investigation.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills with the ability to multi task several projects at once.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Self-motivated, reliable, and accountable individual
- Possess excellent telephone skills
- Must be able to lift/carry 80 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 200 lbs.
- Must be able to move/ manipulate equipment weighing up to 1000 lbs. with the assistance of carts, hoists, davit cranes, pallet jacks or other devices as defined in the manuals and Technical Advisory documentation.
- Job requires frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, and working in unusual positions requiring full body mobility.
- Must be able to work safely and follow safety precautions in extreme environments (temperature, humidity, noise, confined spaces, etc.) around dangerous industrial equipment.
Work environment is typically considered to be wherever the customer of concern is located. Service will typically be rendered at airports, correctional facilities, courthouses, cruise ships or other locations as required.
SDI is a Federal Contractor subject to customer requirements regarding COVID-19 vaccination. Subject to SDI’s COVID-19 policies, all employees who require routine access to customer-sites must be fully vaccinated unless they are eligible and approved for a reasonable accommodation
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers’ evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 14,600 colleagues, based in 50 countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
About Smiths Detection
SDI is a Federal Contractor and a drug-free workplace. By submitting an application, I confirm that I understand that the Company has a right to require me to submit to a drug test prior to employment and at any time during my employment, to the extent permitted by law.
Smiths Detection is a global leader in detection and screening technologies for the protection of people and assets, supporting safety, security and freedom of movement in today’s world.
Smiths Detection is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email .
If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail or call toll-free 877-703-1029. This email and phone number is created exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response. Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Job date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 04:06:07 GMT