State Street is a leading provider of financial services to institutional investors around the world.
Job Title: IT Audit, Risk and Assurance – Senior Associate
We’re developing the next generation of leaders
You have a unique opportunity to jumpstart your career through hands-on, impactful projects, comprehensive training and development across multiple lines of defense, and exposure to executive leadership, paving the way for a robust career at State Street.
This program is designed for recent college graduates, and is sponsored by State Street Executive Leadership, including our CEO, Ron Hanley. It is a critical program managed by State Street’s Enterprise Technology Risk Management, and Corporate Audit talented professionals, supporting those who are new to the profession and aspire to be future leaders. As part of this program, you’ll accelerate the development of foundational risk and control identification, design, implementation, testing and oversight skills, through a combination of courses, self-study, on-the-job training, and rotations through assurance-oriented teams focused on all key risks across State Street. Through exposure to key State Street business divisions, you will graduate from this program with a strong understanding of Audit, Risk, and assurance principles, and be well-positioned to have a successful career in the financial services industry.
The Enterprise Technology Risk Management (ETRM) team provides oversight, review and monitoring of enterprise-wide technology risks to ensure they are proactively identified, prudently managed, and effectively challenged in support of State Street Corporation’s (SSC) business strategy, with a commitment to excellence, integrity and professionalism. ETRM provides thought leadership for technology risk and contributes to the development of the overall risk appetite, risk treatment methodology and risk governance framework. ETRM also identifies and monitors technology risks, and provides independent opinion of risk reporting through both business line and corporate governance forums.
The Corporate Audit IT team is made up of highly-skilled professionals with the mission of providing the Board of Directors, Shareholders, and Executive Management with an independent and objective view of the effectiveness of the bank’s control environment, risk management practices, and culture. Corporate Audit provides independent assurance on the appropriateness of design, and operational effectiveness of risk management and internal control processes that mitigate the bank’s key risks, provides advice to improve the organization’s governance and risk management framework, and assesses the appropriateness, effectiveness, and sustainability of action plans developed by bank management to improve controls. This department carries out its duties freely and objectively, in line with Institute of Internal Auditors and Examiner standards.
NOTE: THIS FULL-TIME PROGRAM BEGINS IN August 2022
Experience during the program
In this 24 month program, you will have the opportunity to gain a strong understanding of the IT control environment at State Street, as well as great insight into the inner workings of a large financial institution. You’ll begin by completing a robust onboarding and training over your first few weeks which will include courses concentrating in risk and controls, internal audit, bank operations, information technology, and regulatory risk management. During this time, we will match you with a mentor who will help guide you through the duration of the program.
Furthermore, you’ll continue to gain relevant experience by completing two twelve-month rotations within Enterprise Technology Risk Management, and Corporate IT Audit. During your rotations, you could be working on:
Enterprise Technology Risk Management
- Participating in identification of technology risk, oversight over technology risk remediation, and closure validation of identified technology risks
- Preparing technology risk communication to various audiences
- Performing data analytics and presenting resulting insights to team members
- Supporting maintenance and execution of technology risk management frameworks, processes, methodologies, standards, and policies
Corporate IT Audit
- Planning, testing – fieldwork, wrap-up, and execution of all types of audit activities, including audits, continuous monitoring of internal controls, and issue validation for Corporate Audit-raised issues.
- Analyzing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative audit data and present back findings to audit team members and business line partners.
- Identifying risk and controls, as well as designing and executing testing, over critical technologies and processes.
As a Senior Associate, each individual will be enrolled in the full-time program and is responsible for successfully completing all aspects of the program including:
- Attendance at all training classes and completion of related homework and other assignments as required
- Demonstration of competence in materials presented and ability to execute routine assurance testing work
Life after the program
Upon successful completion of the Program, graduates will have the opportunity to join one of the participating assurance groups as an Officer-level assurance professional. An Officer is typically responsible for executing crucial assurance activities across State Street to validate the adequacy, effectiveness, and sustainability of internal controls.
Further, you’ll continue to have access to a growing community of State Street development program alums that will prove invaluable throughout your entire career journey! You may also have the opportunity to partner closely with the Program Management team on recruiting related activities as well as future program planning and design.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for self-starters, team players, and strategic thinkers.
To be successful in this program, you’ll need to display strong skills and characteristics including: analytical and critical thinking, communication, data analysis, detail-oriented, initiative, interpersonal, leadership, learning agility, project management, relationship building, strategic mindset, and time management.
What you’ll need to apply
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, preferable in information systems, computer science, accounting or related field; Advanced degree in information technology, cyber security or systems Expected graduation date between December 2021 – May 2022
- Minimum GPA of 3.4 required
- Internship or other relevant corporate exposure is preferred
Background qualifications include:
Please note that U.S. Immigration sponsorship or work visa is not available for this position and candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Protocols: Complying with State Street’s COVID-19 protocols is a condition of employment. Those requirements may vary depending on circumstances and legal requirements, and may include, without limitation, a requirement to be vaccinated (or have an accommodation), to disclose vaccination status, to provide evidence of vaccination status, etc.